Monday, August 15, 2011

The Bake Sale Results Show!


First of all, above everything else, let me say, "Thank you!"  Abundant thanks, really.  And that scarcely scratches the surface of my gratitude.  The August 8th Bake Sale/Craft Sale was a great success!  I owe particular gratitude to all of the families in our neighborhood who helped us set up, baked delicious treats,  helped to advertise, worked the bake sale table and BELIEVED that this cause was worth their energy.  You are all so wonderful!

And to our family, neighbors, and friends who braved the heat and came over to buy bread and cupcakes and crafts and lemonade:  THANK YOU!  Just, THANK YOU!
 
I was so worried hopeful.  I prayed a lot.  We worked together.  And the end result?  $1,326!  A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!  I'm so proud to call you all my friends, and thank you for supporting this good cause.  We have raised enough to secure Richard's opportunity for education for one year.  And we are almost one third of the way toward a full year sponsorship for Barbara.  These children are bright and beautiful and real, and it was an honor to serve alongside you all on their behalf.  Here are their images...my heart burns each time I see them:




I am still learning about these children and look forward to knowing them better. What I have learned about them is that they are grateful, motivated, and earnest young people who deserve a chance for a better life, for hope, and for opportunity.  I know your contributions will help their lives.  May I say it again?  Here goes..."Thank you!"

And now, a little about the bake sale itself.  So many helping hands contributed to this event.  My partners in it all were my own kiddo Maggie and our cute neighbor Maren - both girls put in lots of time brainstorming/dreaming with me on Sunday afternoons.  Maren took over creating all of the decorations and signage and music...and she did a splendid job! 

So...let's talk food!  There was a lot of baking on our street Monday!  Our house was no exception.  My fabulous nieces came to stay with me overnight to help with the preparations.  In the end...we had A LOT of baked goods to offer!  Here are some random shots from the bake sale table, my kitchen table, my kitchen.  There was food EVERYWHERE, and my neighbors are THE BEST COOKS EVER!
I love carrot cake.  I love cream cheese frosting.  And I LOVED this particular recipe for carrot cake cupcakes.  So nice to bring some garden-y goodness into cupcake land.  And Marilyn's cherry bread was a hit!  I will confess that I actually hid one to buy later.  Don't worry!  I paid!
Oh so glad Maren suggested we serve strawberry lemonade!  It was toasty outside during the bake sale, and this stuff was cold and delicious!
My cooking is generally nothing to write home about.  But my husband was IN LOVE with these oatmeal caramel bars.  
I may just have to post the recipe for you all!
Sheri's homemade wheat bread...what can I say?  Basically, she sat it down on the table and about five seconds later...it was sold!  We should call it "lightening bread" and it should be at EVERY bake sale! 
Ashlie and Lyndsy helped me make these rustic tarts.  :)  And these cinnamon rolls are Marilyn's creation.  I never got one...but I'm happy for all of you who DID (and I'm just a little jealous)!
 Kaley is the mastermind behind these little beauties!  They were specifically requested from that last bake sale we held to benefit an orphanage in Haiti.  Gorgeous!

Kaley also created some lovely bags of flavored popcorn.  And the surprise cupcakes?  That would be Karen's work.  I didn't get one of those either...but I'm told there's a cheesecake surprise inside that brings a smile to your face.  These were beautiful!
Sheri - of wheat bread fame - also brought iced carrot cookies and monster cookies.  So good!  And Diane brought these chocolate peanut butter brownies that look like a slice of heaven!  Really...I had to control myself around all this deliciousness!
I kind of pulled an all-nighter baking the rosemary bread, lemon cake bread, oatmeal caramel bars, and blondies.  Some of my favorite recipes!  The fudge (a secret recipe) and brownies are from the McConkie girls...secret recipe fudge always tastes the best - it's filled with intrigue.
Oh!  We almost didn't get a picture of these beautiful chocolate strawberry cupcakes!  There was so much movement as food was brought to the house and people were assisting in set-up...I think these came from the Marilyn's fabulous kitchen.  And of course...the lemonade!  Again, Maren...you're a genius!
The chocolate chocolate chocolate cupcakes I think were also from Marilyn, and these beautiful giant chocolate chip cookies and chocolate caramel cookie bars were from the incomparable Lynne!  Snickerdoodles and Zucchini bread came from wonderful Jaylin...as did a few other items that missed being photographed.  Jaylin's husband also came early in the day to help us set up their tent...many thanks!

I'm sad because we didn't get a photo of Amy's peanut butter brownies!  And I'm sure I'm missing a few other items that are very much worth mentioning.  It was a little chaotic just before the sale opened, but great fun!  Thanks to everyone who brought goodies!

And now, on to our helpers.  The kids in our neighborhood really took part in this whole process.  They delivered all of the flyers to 400 homes!  That was a wonderful, energetic evening!  We got together before delivering them to discuss Africa Heartwood Project and the children in Ghana that we were doing all of this work for.  

The day of the bake sale they all designed signs and took turns standing at the street for advertising.  And the kids also helped with all of the table work.  Thanks to Lyndsy for being the girl in charge of pricing and replenishing baked good on the table.  Thanks to Maren & Ashlie for taking charge of all orders and packaging.  Natalie did a great job being in charge of the raffle tickets, and Liz & Lydia were wonderful at the lemonade stand!  Maggie was in charge of the craft table - ever so splendid!  And thanks to Justin, Yu Chen, Millie, Alli, Sami, and Brooklyn for being in charge of advertising and the gratitude committee!  And special thanks to Cassidy for watching baby G for HOURS!  You are all so wonderful!  Thanks for your hard work!

Maren hard at work taking orders and helping customers. She's pretty fantastic!






 Ashlie (and Lyndsy who is not pictured) assisted Maren at the table...and me for about 20 hours of solid kitchen and prep time.  We couldn't have done this without you ladies! 




In addition to the bake sale, the crafts sold fairly well.  I was a little embarrassed to put myself out there with these, but everyone was so generous and bought lots of them!  Yeah!  
(We still have a few left, for any of you stragglers out there who still want to help us support Africa Heartwood Project!)

Crafts ready to go outside to the sale!

Would you believe this is the only photo I got of the craft table itself?  Oops!
And (thank goodness!) people came!  Mostly people from our immediate neighborhood, but some traveled to come to the bake sale, including Africa Heartwood Project Director Andy Jones' family (So nice to meet you Kayla & kids!).  THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!  We enjoyed visiting with old friends, new friends, and wonderful family!  YOU are what made this event a success, and your generosity leaves me speechless!

The bake sale in full swing!






No comments: